Thursday 16 July 2009

Hi Kids, Do You Like Violence?

Tuesday brought some good fights but it's only today that I've got time to describe them.

Not so sassy
First I fought Sassy B in a Rifter duel. He used a shield tank setup with a neut while I stuck to the traditional armor tank with a rocket launcher in the fourth high slot. With Barrage loaded, I chose the usual 7.5 km orbit.
Sassy B was hitting me pretty hard but I was ahead in the damage race thanks to having bigger guns - 200mm vs 125mm - and the rockets. I overloaded my midslots as he entered structure to make sure he does not escape but then switched the rack overloading off to avoid burning them out. That was a mistake: burning out his afterburner, Sassy B managed to escape, just like Leeloo Malaquin did in our recent Rifter duel.
We exchanged compliments and discussed pros and cons of different setups. Sassy B said he'd only got one neut cycle on me before our orbits stabilised. It looks like neuts on Rifters are all the rage these days. I might give them a try.

'Nixed
Some time later, I was in Bosboger, a scanner's nightmare due to the myriad of ships parked at numerous player-owned structures. Still, I managed to spot a Dominix in a belt with Ogre I's out, ratting apparently. I was still in a Rifter so I decided to call in guys from the Python Cartel whom I had seen next door.
I convoed Lanissum while warping to the Dominix and tackling it. Unfortunately, the Pythons had moved by that time and were taking a while to get back and change ships. Things were going well with the Dominix at first as his Ogres struggled to track me. But then he recalled them and unleashed a pack of Hobgoblin II's. Cursing, I started targeting, webbing and shooting them but it was a fight I could not win. Maybe Gneeznow's cap booster setup would have worked here but somehow whenever I use that one I don't encounter drone boats.
Surprisingly, after finishing off my Rifter the Dominix did not leave and the Pythons got him in the end.


Rat Tackle
Finally, while scanning around in Amamake a bit later, I spotted a missioning Cyclone owned by a young pilot. My prober mate quickly pinned him down while I was thinking what ship to fly. I knew for sure I'd kill him in my Jaguar so I chose a Rifter to see if I could pull it off in a Tech 1 frigate.
As I landed in his mission site I saw the Cyclone was about 50 kilometres away. Damn, that will give him enough time to spot me and warp out, I thought. But then I saw a message saying the poor guy had been scrambled by a rat! Afterburner overloaded, I quickly approached my target to scram and web it (in case he was speedtanking those battleship rats).
I did not expect him to be able to hit me but my systems were registering some damage. WTF? A smartbomb! Fortunately, there was just one and my armour repairer could deal with it, patching the holes just as quickly as they appeared.
The Cyclone, on the other hand, was slowly going down. I overloaded my weapons to break through its shield regeneration peak and then it was just a matter of time before the ship was blasted into pieces.
I then made a stupid mistake which allowed the pod to leave, but that did not matter much after my first solo battlecruiser kill in a Rifter (hey, rats don't count, ok?).

No comments:

Post a Comment